KeePass is a Windows Application that is an open source password manager. It helps the user in managing the passwords in a very secure way. All the passwords can be put in a single data base that is locked with one master key or a key file. The user only has to remember the single master key or key file in order to access all the other passwords. This database is encrypted using the best and more secure encryption algorithms known as Twofish or AES. This is a useful application because nowadays a user has to have different passwords for all the social media or accounts he has on the internet.
Keeping just one password for these websites can be very harmful as the hacker accessing one of the user’s accounts will be able to access all the other accounts that may contain very important information of the user. KeePass provides user exactly with the secure option and it is free.
Here are the main features of this application:
- KeePass has very strong security system. It supports the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES, Rijndael) as well as the Twofish algorithm to encrypt the password databases. These ciphers are known to be very secure.
- The whole of database is encrypted along with the password fields. This means that the user name, notes and other stuff is also encrypted.
- SHA-256 is used as password hash for this application. It is a strong algorithm and so far no attacks have ever been recorded or made against it.
- The passwords of the user are encrypted even when the KeePass is running and therefore, even though the user’s operating system caches the KeePass process to the disk, it cannot reveal the password.
- One master password can decrypts the complete database.
- KeePass is portable and it can be easily carried in a USB stick by the user. Therefore, the user can take it anywhere with him.
- The password list can also be exported in different formats such as Text, XML or CSV and HTML.
|Requirements||Windows (All Versions)|
|License||open source (OSI certified)|
|Product||KeePass Password Safe|