7-Zip is a Windows application and a file archiver that comes with a very high compression ratio. It is open source software that the user can use. Most of the source code used for this application is under the GNY LGPL license. The user can user the 7-Zip on any type of computer including computer in the commercial organizations. The user does not have to pay or even register to use this software.
Here are the main features of the 7-Zip:
- The application/software has a very high compression ratio in 7z format with LZMA2 and LZMA compression.
- It can support a number of formats like packing or unpacking 7z, XZ, BZIP,, TAR, GZIP, ZIP and WIM
- It can also unpack ARJ, CAB, SPIO, CHM, DMG, DEB, ISO, HFS, MBR, MSY, NTFS, RAR, RPM, UDF, WIM, XAR and Z.
- The application provides a compression ratio which is 2-10% better ratio provided by other sources like WinZip and PKZIP
- The application has a very strong AES-256 encryption in the 7Z and ZIP formats
- The application also has a self-extracting capability for the 7z formats.
- It is a very powerful file manager and user can use it as the main file manager for his computer.
- The application has a plugin for FAR manager.
- It can be downloaded in more than 79 languages. Therefore, no matter where the user is located and what language he uses on the computer, this application would be able to accommodate him.
- The application can work in Windows 7, Vista, 2008/2003/2000/ NT/ME and 98. It also comes with a port of command line version to Linux and Unix.
It has to be noted that the compression ratio results are dependent on the data used. It is a very useful application especially for the business owners who need to send a large amount of data every now and then or on daily basis. Unlike other open source software, this application can work with all types of formats for packing or unpacking and that can actually come in very handy for the users.
|Requirements||Windows (All Versions)|
|License||Open Source Freeware (Most of the source code is under the GNU LGPL license)|